Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Taking Away to Establish

Remember the Robert Frost Poem, about two roads? It is actually entitled, "The Road Not Taken." It illustrates a biblical point actually that my Dad and I were discussing of recent..  Here is the poem first: 


Robert Frost (1874–1963).  Mountain Interval.  1920
The Road Not Taken
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Now the most obvious thing about that poem is that for him
to go down one road meant that he could not go down the
other road.


I recently went through a situation that was most uncomfortable and a little perplexing to me. I sought the council of my Mentor Dad, who simply stated, “There is a Law of ‘taking away to establish.’”  This has set me pondering this, and of course looking for biblical examples.


The first that HE brought to my mind, has been a scripture that in my early walk with the Lord, quite frankly frightened me to no end! It frightened because I did not understand it, and so the enemy used it to condemn and torment me with fear of being cast out as worthless wood!


That scripture is John 15:1-8 Below is the Amplified Version
John 15:1  I AM the True Vine, and My Father is the Vinedresser.
John 15:2  Any branch in Me that does not bear fruit [that stops bearing] He cuts away (trims off, takes away); and He cleanses and repeatedly prunes every branch that continues to bear fruit, to make it bear more and richer and more excellent fruit.
John 15:3  You are cleansed and pruned already, because of the word which I have given you [the teachings I have discussed with you].
John 15:4  Dwell in Me, and I will dwell in you. [Live in Me, and I will live in you] Just as no branch can bear fruit of itself without abiding in (being vitally united to) the vine, neither can you bear fruit unless you abide in Me.
John15:5  I am the Vine; you are the branches. Whoever lives in Me and I in him bears much (abundant) fruit. However, apart from Me [cut off from vital union with Me] you can do nothing.
John 15:6  If a person does not dwell in Me, he is thrown out like a [broken-off] branch, and withers; such branches are gathered up and thrown into the fire, and they are burned.
John 15:7  If you live in Me [abide vitally united to Me] and My words remain in you and continue to live in your hearts, ask whatever you will, and it shall be done for you.
John 15:8  When you bear (produce) much fruit, My Father is honored and glorified, and you show and prove yourselves to be true followers of Mine.

We are not worthless wood!  We are grafted in, by the Blood! But, He trims and prunes what He should, knowing it is for our own good. We may not understand, and that pruning may be severe, cutting to the quick. But scripture says, when He wounds HE heals, and there is a balm applied as the sword cuts deep and wide.He is divinding asunder bone and marrow… removing what will hinder us tomorrow.  He knows our thoughts and intents, even when we do not, and He calls us his own for with a price we were bought!

Look, He called “Abraham, come out and away.”  Abraham picked up and left that very day! He told him, “I must take away to make covenant with you.” And so, He removed from him, all that he knew.  Then put him on a journey of total trust and obey, saying. “Come I have a city prepared, I’ll show you the way.”

As I pondered these things, I heard Him say:
“For I am taking away some things, to establish something better.  This includes all things that would hinder you from following me, completing the Call that I have placed upon your life.  You will find that some people are removed from your circle because they will not help you in this journey with me, they are a stumbling block you see. 

There are commitments that you will put down.  And pursuits, that although they are good, they are not from ME.  I need you to see.  I NEED you to BE. Be what I have called you to be. Not what you think or what you think others think you should be.  I need you to be free. Free to follow Me in a bold new way, in a dimension of my Glory and in a freedom from fear and self-doubt.  Don’t you see, I am calling you to ME. I need you to BE. Be my witness, be my mouth, my pen with which I write upon peoples hearts. But to BE you must first BE STILL WITH ME! 

I am taking away to establish, far more than you can see. It stretches out to Eternity.  Yes my love, you are touching into Eternity, with every breathe you breath, every stroke of your pen, every Word shared that comes from ME. God breathed Words, God Breathed inspiration, God breathed moves at my direction.   

Ah, I heard your question, “how will I know, how can I be sure, that it isn’t just me?” You hear far well, and you see, now I’m teaching you, it’s all about leaning on ME. “Practice makes perfect,” in the things of this world. But, with ME, “Patience makes Perfect,” as you wait on ME.  Be Patient with yourself, Be Patient with ME as you hold out your being, heart and soul, waiting expectantly.  I will not be late, I will bestow.  Give yourself time to Grow in the Art of Waiting so you will know. 

Remember the scripture, Paul did write?  That these light afflictions, are really so slight in view of the Eternal weight of My Glory.  Afflictions are vexations, not just outward, but inward too.  These are the things I am taking from you.

For My Glory will cover and blanket you and you must learn to wear it well. The weight of my Glory is a “show and tell.”  I will show you and I will tell you, and it will show and you will tell.  For I cover you with my Glory, My Princess Bride, I take you for My Queen to live by My side.  You must know your worth, how dear to Me you are!  You are far more beautiful than the millions of stars. For you sparkle and shine with a light Divine that comes from within, as I bid you to “Come and Dine.”  Feast at my table, prepared just for you. At this table, there is room for only us two!  This is a private banquet, for my love and ME. For I desire your face to see. I desire you voice in My ear as you whisper sweet nothings of how I am so dear. Does that shock you, or surprise you that I would say, “I desire you My Love, so Come Away?”  For as much as you long to hear My voice, loud and strong, I long to hear your heart beat out to ME, it’s own special Love Song.  It is the song, that only “we” can sing, it is the song of My Bride in Love with Her King.”



No comments: