Saturday, July 3, 2010

Bid Me Come

A girlfriend and I were discussing the previous
blog post and various scriptures
as they pertain to our lives. She shared a thought with me that I found to be
profound but not often pointed out.
It is in the following scripture:

Mat 14:22-32 And straightway Jesus constrained his
disciples to get into a ship, and to go before him unto
the other side, while he sent the multitudes away.
And when he had sent the multitudes away,
he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and
when the evening was come, he was there alone.

But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed
with waves: for the wind was contrary. And in the
fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them,
walking on the sea. And when the disciples saw him
walking on the sea, they were troubled,
saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.

But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying,
Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid. vs. 28 And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou,
bid me come unto thee on the water. And he said, Come.

( The Message translation says-
Peter, suddenly bold, said, "Master, if it's really you,
call me to come to you on the water."
He said, "Come ahead.")

vs. 29-32 And when Peter was come down out of
the ship,he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.
But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid;
and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.
And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and
caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith,
wherefore didst thou doubt? And when they were
come into the ship, the wind ceased.

Notice the ship was being tossed about by
wind and wave. The word "tossed" in the Greek
means: "To question by torture." Have you ever
had your Faith questioned by torturous
circumstances or situations? It also means
"to vex with grievous pains of body or
mind, to torment." Has your mind been vexed?
Or your body pained? Has your soul been
in torment? It was not a favorable condition
for the disciples to say the least!

Jesus was deep in prayer on a mountain, but in
Mark 6:38 it says He "saw" them toiling in the rowing.
(Being deep in prayer will allow you to see what you
might otherwise not be able to!)

In the fourth watch He goes to them... This is sometime between 3am - 6 am. He's been praying, and they've
been laboring to get to the other side of the lake,
like He's told them to!

He comes walking on the water out to them.
They are terrified! Not only is the sea raging
but now there is a "figure" approaching their ship.
They screamed and were totally agitated and in
turmoil within themselves. Though the winds blew
loud and hard, He still heard their distressed cry!
Immediately He answered them-It is I!
Now it doesn't say they asked any question,
but He heard the questions in their hearts and
He answered them; "It is I, be not afraid!"

Now they've been rowing all night, probably taking
turns at it, and are probably quite fatigued.
Jesus has just spoken comforting words to them, saying "It is I." Peter answered him, ... this is a Hebraism meaning
an address (response) was expected, and
so Peter responded to the figure on the water.

At this point, Peter does a most remarkable thing!
He doesn't say, "Hail Lord! Glad to see you.
Can you help us out here, and calm the storm?"
No, Peter says, "Lord if it be you...(show me the stuff
in other words!) Bid me come to You!" Draw me Lord!

Now, what can Jesus say? "No, dude, it's
not really Me, so you better stay put!"
Did He think Peter had the Faith
to walk on the water?
Well, He didn't say, " Yeah, it's Me,
but I don't think you have what it
takes Peter to do this!"
No, He answered, "Come ahead!"

What Peter was really saying, was this:
"On the strength of Your Word, I can do this!
Urge me on, incite me (my faith) by word,

command me to come!"

Jesus answered two things.
He answered Peter's question,
"Lord is this really you?"
And He answered Peter's faith.

"All that the Father giveth me shall come to me;
and him that cometh to me I will in no wise
cast out." John 6:37


"No man can come to ME except the Father
which hath sent Me draw him...
" John 6:44.

Peter didn't ask Him to calm the storm.
He asked Him to call him to Himself!

"Lord, we're are in a terrible storm,
but if You will just call me to come to you..."
And upon Jesus' saying one word (ONE WORD!)
"COME,"
Peter got OUT of the boat and stepped on to the
water and began to walk out to meet Jesus in
the midst of being tossed
(tortured, tormented, pained)
by the storm.

Drawing nigh to Jesus, is still the most important thing
we can do, especially in a storm!

It was only when he took his eyes off of the prize
of the high calling of the Lord Jesus Christ, that
he began to sink.

Jesus is still calling to us today.

Oh Lord, bid me come!

"Come! Don't look at the wind and
waves of your surroundings.
Do not be in torment of soul and mind.
Do not permit the enemy to torture you
with interrogation of your faith.
I am calling you to Myself. Therefore, step
boldly upon My Word, it shall sustain you.
Indeed I hold you up with the right hand
of My righteousness, which cannot fail.
Come to Me and I will give you peace.
I will answer the questions that you
have not voiced, but yet they nag at you.
I will silence them, even as I spoke one word
to Peter that emboldened him to trust Me
in the midst of the storm.
I will silence their voice, as you concentrate
on and listen to My Voice.
Now is the time. Come!"

"My beloved spoke, and said unto me,
Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away."

Song of Solomon 2:10


~+~+~
For your reference-: The Jesus Boat discovered in 1986!

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/israel/jesus-boat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sea_of_Galilee_Boat


2 comments:

Carole said...

Excellent! Thanks, Nancy

KDweeb said...

Or Perhaps, what Peter was really saying, was this:
I don't believe it is you, Lord. Only God could command me to walk on water. So, command me!

Perhaps Jesus was chastising Peter for not believing Jesus the first time when He said, "It is I." Maybe it wasn't for the sinking, but for doubting Jesus' initial word that "It is I."

I just thought of this now. Will have to mull on it.