Saturday, January 23, 2010

Don't Settle!

I am studying in the book of Acts presently and the Lord showed me something I want to share. You’ll want to read Acts 3 to set the stage. I’m going to pick up in Chapter 4. Peter and John were threatened by the Council leaders and finally let go after a night in jail. They then return to their company. (Those of like mind and spirit like fortitude and determination for the cause of Christ)

Vs. 23-31 After their release the Apostles went back to their friends and reported to them what the chief priest and elders had said to them. When they heard it they raised their voices to God in united prayer and said,

“Almighty Lord, thou art the One who hast made the Heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them. It was thou who didst speak by the holy Spirit through he lips of our forefather David thy servant in the words:

Why did the gentiles rage, And the peoples imagine vain things?

The kings of the earth set themselves in array, And the rulers were gathered together, Against the Lord, and against his anointed:

For indeed in this city the rulers have joined together against thy holy servant Jesus, thine anointed-yes Herod and Pontius Pilate, the gentiles and the peoples of Israel have gathered together to carry out what thine hand and will had planned to happen.

And now, O Lord, observe their threats and give thy servants courage to speak thy Word fearlessly, while thou dost stretch out thine hand to heal, and cause signs and wonders to be performed in the name of thy holy servant Jesus.”

When they had prayed their meeting-place was shaken; they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the Word of God fearlessly.

The word shaken literally means to shake, to agitate, to cause to totter. It also means to cast down from one’s secure and happy state. And to shake thoroughly, of a measure filled by shaking its contents together.


Their prayer caused a response from God! He came and shook the very building they were in and them with it! Are you praying for God to move on your behalf? Are you praying for Him to do some deep thing in your life? I have another question for you then. Are you willing to let God shake you from your secure and happy state? Are you willing to shake you like we would shake a container that we were trying to fill so the contents would settle and make more room? Will you allow Him to “make more room” for His Glory? More room for Himself in your life? I’m not saying that He is going to bring disaster to you! I am saying He wants to shake you out of your conformability zone and cause you to cling to Him and draw closer to Him. If we want to be filled thoroughly, then we must allow Him to shake us thoroughly so that all that is not like Him, not rooted and grounded in Him, can be removed. As these things leave our lives, then there is more room for His indwelling Presence and His power to move through us unhindered.

Jer 48:11 (AMP) Moab has been at ease from his youth, and he has settled on his lees [like wine] and has not been drawn off from one vessel to another, neither has he gone into exile. Therefore his taste remains in him, and his scent has not changed.

Zaph. 1:12 And it shall come to pass at that time, that I will search Jerusalem with candles, and punish the men that are settled on their lees…

Prov. 20: 27 The spirit of man is the candle of the LORD, searching all the inward parts of the belly.

Psa 55:19 God shall hear, and afflict them, even he that abideth of old. Selah. Because they have no changes, therefore they fear not God.

Wine that has settled on its lees is thick and bitter and NASTY tasting! (So I am told.) Part of the wine making process of old was they would pour the wine into different types of bottles. Each bottle had a purpose. Some protected from outside light and elements and the wine was shut away to develop. Another container was more shallow and open and allowed for the rays of the sun to come and warm it and sweeten it. At various times the wine would be picked up and dumped out into a fresh container. Why? So that the lees, or the sediment would stick to the inside of the rough container and the wine would be free of those things and become purer and sweeter in its taste and in its fragrance.

We need to be emptied out of ourselves! We need to allow His candle- his Sonlight to search us. We need to allow His Spirit to deal with us in those quiet times alone. We need to allow Him to turn us upside down and thereby shake us loose from those things that would ruin our taste, and our fragrance of Christ!

Ahh Lord, you see how the things of this world press in upon me! You see how my own carnal nature threatens to spoil the bouquet, the fragrance and the taste that the wine of my life is supposed to be. Lord grant that I make be courageous and fearless in You. But that means I must allow you to shake me, to turn the jar of my life upside down and pour me out in the next container, for the next step in my purification and development. When you turn me upside down, I must simply trust You, because there is nothing that I can cling to at that moment as you empty me out of myself. Oh Lord help me to love you more! To trust you more in all things! I give myself to you afresh and anew. Have your way with me!

No comments: