Tuesday, August 4, 2009

What is YOUR plumb line?

What the heck is a plumb line anyway? And do I need one? And how do I use it? Good questions. Let's look and see.

A plumb line is a cord that has a weight tied to the bottom of it. It is especially helpful in carpentry work, to make sure a wall is not slanted but perfectly perpendicular. A cord with a weight tied to it... hmmm makes me think of some other things... like an anchor. Like being tied together in Love. Like What the Lord spoke in Jer. 31:3 (Darby) Jehovah hath appeared from afar unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with loving-kindness have I drawn thee. Or in Hosea: Hos 11:4 I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love, and I was to them as one who lifts up and eases the yoke over their cheeks, and I bent down to them and gently laid food before them.

Plumb lines help you to measure and keep to the true pattern of things. We can have an anchor for our soul. One that will hold firm when the winds of adversity assail us. We do have a cord of love that draws us and points us to the true. Jesus is our anchor, the Bishop of our souls. His word is our plumb line. It does not matter how dire the situation. God's Word is still TRUE. It does not matter how awful the report. His Word is the report of the Lord for my life! It does not matter how dark the night, how long the tunnel, how fierce the storm, how loud the voices. Our God reigns! He sits in the heavenlies and he roars - laughing his enemies to derision. He has made us well able to face 9 ft. giants and walled cities that want to lock us out of His promises.

At one point King David cried out: " [What, what would have become of me] had I not believed that I would see the Lord's goodness in the land of the living! " (Psalms 27:13 Amp) Indeed! What would have become of him, or you or I if we did not believe to see God show up in our midst and by showing up, putting everything to rights.


I can hear some saying, : "Yes, but..." Throw those buts away! Don't pollute yourself with them. Give no place to the devil, no arena in which he can work. every time a "Y.B." (yes but) comes up put it right into the trash can and speak the Word out loud instead! Find a promise and hold on and don't let go!

David later said, " Psalm 37:25 (AMP) "I have been young and now am old, yet have I not seen the [uncompromisingly] righteous forsaken or their seed begging bread."
He is no respecter of persons. So put your faith out there. Draw your sword, hang the plumb line and stand with your shield of Faith raised.

Facts may say one thing, but God's Word is the Truth.
Facts might declare a downturn, but God's Word declares
we are the head and not the tail.
Above only and not beneath.

Facts can change, but the Truth is Eternal, forever settled in Heaven. Selah!

No comments: